There may be some minors changes to the house league format for the 2017-2018 season. When we have this information we will update this website page. Schedule dates should remain the same.
North Central House League - Novice and Atom ONLY
For the 2014-2015 hockey season Hockey Calgary piloted a House League program in Simons Valley, Bow River, and West Calgary (Trails West, Glenlake and Springbank). For the 2015-2016 hockey season, Hockey Calgary has expanded this program to all associations. McKnight Hockey, Simons Valley Hockey and Calgary Saints Hockey formed the NEW "North Central House League" which is in conjunction with Hockey Calgary. Each association will supply Atom and Novice teams to the program to play each other.
This is an OPTIONAL League and is separate from the Minor Hockey Leagues in Calgary. Some of the highlights include:
In this House League Program players will have fewer ice times, relatively fixed dates and times and less travel time. All teams will be balanced equally within each association and play in one division. The season will run from approximately the beginning of October to the end of March. All teams will have one practice and one game per week, and the season will end with all teams playing in a tournament style playoff prior to the end of the season. Days and times will be fixed (as available ice allows) so that families can plan ahead with a reasonable knowledge of how their schedule will look. The league will emphasize fun hockey with no stats or standings and will still provide high quality coaching by certified coaches and competitive games where all players will have the opportunity to improve their skills. All associations will charge a reduced registration fee of $550 per player. Additional practice ice, tournaments and exhibition games beyond what the league provides will not be permitted. Both the Novice and Atom leagues will be sanctioned by Hockey Calgary and players will be properly registered and insured within Hockey Calgary. Demand is expected to be high and thus space will be provided on a first-come basis. Associations may have a maximum player allotment for this program to balance team sizes and may be required to assign your child to the traditional program.
House League Players can expect:
- Novice (7 & 8 yrs) and Atom (9 & 10 yrs) divisions only.
- Reduced rate of $575 for the season.
- One practice per week, on a specific day. ***NOTE*** Practice day of the week may vary between associations, but players in each association are given a specific day they will practice on.
- One game per week on a Saturday or Sunday morning. House games will only be against other McKnight, Simons Valley and Calgary Saints House teams within the division.
- All games will be refereed.
- Ice times will be 60 minutes in length.
- Ice times will be scheduled for the entire season. Total of 30 ice times per season (15 practices and 15 games).
- Ice times will commence in October and end in March.
- Attempts will be made to balance each team. There will be no ranking of House teams.
- There will be player “sorting” at the beginning of the season which will be required to balance the House teams. Each association will make every effort to ensure that all teams consist of similar skilled players (outliers may be moved at set times during the season).
- Cash Calls will be limited only to the funding of team apparel, trophies/medals and team building events. No team fundraising is allowed. The purchase of ice for additional practices, exhibition games and tournaments will not be permitted.
- House teams will not be sanctioned to play in any tournaments (in Calgary or outside of Calgary) or any exhibition games.
- All practices will take place at each association’s typical home rinks. Games will be limited to the same but will include away games at any of the other associations participating.
- Ideal team size is 16.
- Friend requests are allowed, Associations will do their best to accommodate but cannot make any guarantees.
- Goalie rotation will be allowed in both Novice and Atom, and associations will provide necessary goalie equipment for both age groups. [If you child wants to play goalie full time in Atom, we will do our best to accommodate that, however, in this situation equipment will NOT be provided. The rotation of goalies in this program is to create additional interest as we see a city wide shortage in our younger age groups.]
- Players get to keep their sponsored jersey at the end of the season.
- Teams will wear their association jerseys during all games.
- Socks and a team photo memory mate will be included in fees.
- Games will follow all Hockey Calgary Rules and games will adhere to the standard Hockey Canada Fair Play Codes.
- McKnight Hockey, Simons Valley Hockey and Calgary Saints Hockey will support their House League teams. Volunteers may be required for the House League and each Association Volunteer Policy will apply to House League teams in the same manner as Minor Hockey teams.
- Coaching certification requirements are the same for House League and Community Hockey. Please refer to Hockey Calgary Coaching Requirements. [Requirements include Respect In Sport - Coach program (online), Safety program (online), Coach Stream, or equivalent (online and classroom/on-ice), Checking Skills for Atom ONLY (online and classroom/on-ice)]. Coach certification are reimbursable through the individual Hockey Association.
- Coaching selection will be managed through each association. If you are interested in coaching for a House team, please refer to your association website or contact your association for more details.
- In order for the House League to continue to move forward, we require a minimum of 16 players per team. Teams may be formed by combining registrations between the associations. We do reserve the right to cancel the House League if we do not meet this minimum registration requirements.
Registration for the House League is the same as the Minor Hockey registration. Every Community District in Calgary is designated to a Hockey Calgary Community Hockey Association. If you do not know which Association you belong to, please refer to the Calgary Association List (found on the Hockey Calgary website, under the Registrations tab). Each Community Hockey Association website will also detail their online registration process. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact the Association registration contact listed below.
This is an optional program for Novice and Atom divisions only. You can elect to choose to play within the House League or the Minor Hockey League. Players are only able to participate in one league for the duration of the hockey season. Players may only change leagues between hockey seasons.
McKnight Hockey Association
contact: Kim Wiltse, House Division Coordinator
registration: June 1 - September 30, 2017
Simons Valley Hockey Association
contact: Sarah Palinkas, Administrator
registration: June 15 - September 30, 2017
Calgary Saints Hockey Association
contact: Christina Blumhagen, Administrator & Registrar
registration: July 1 - September 30, 2017
SAMPLE SCHEDULE ONLY:
- October 4 - 5: Team formation and balancing.
- Weekly Practices: October 6 - December 12 and January 5 - 30; Dec 1, 8; Jan 5, 12, 19, 26.
- Game dates: October 11, 18, 25; November 1, 8, 15, 22, 29; December 6, 13; January 10, 17, 24; Season ending tournament on weekend of Jan 30, 31 and Feb 1